This Page

has been moved to new address

Day 5: The Bettie Page Dress for Veteran's Day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Iron Orchid Vintage: Day 5: The Bettie Page Dress for Veteran's Day

Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 5: The Bettie Page Dress for Veteran's Day

Today in the US, it is Veteran's Day- a day which celebrates those who have served in the US Military. To be patriotic, I thought I would wear this uniform inspired retro piece. A few months back I was shopping on Haight St. in San Francisco, and stumbled across the Bettie Page store. It was a very nice surprise to find that instead of being stocked with retro novelties, it was full of well constructed vintage reproduction pieces. I think I must have spent an hour and a half in there trying on a variety of dresses, skirts and pants (oh, I can't wait to show you the pants!).  I have to say that I love this dress, the cut is gentle on the curves and flattering in a proper, "more is more" kind of way. For fun, I thought I'd give myself bangs today. Instead of rolling them up tight and more authentically, I thought it looked better pulled out in an '80's, full and exaggerated way.
I must add a bit to that thing I wrote earlier about curves. I think that a lot of maintaining a nice and curvy look starts in the layers beneath a wardrobe. I am wearing, (and often do wear) everything from hosiery and slips, to a vintage corset. My corsets were passed down to me from my mother sometime in my teenaged years, and I'm convinced that my most favorite one has the strength to turn a 32 inch waist into a 26 inch waist if it had to. I'm exaggerating about that, but in all seriousness it was built tough, durable, and nothing - not the boning, hook-and-eyes, nor metal zipper have buckled in its years of use. I have tried, rather unsuccessfully, to find a comparable modern piece, so if you are one of those ladies who is fortunate enough to have found one to add to your "under-thing" collection, please treasure it! 

Last but not least, if you have a chance to thank a Veteran for his or her service today, please do!
Outfit Details:
Dress: Bettie Page Store
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
Rings: Vintage and my high school class ring
Earrings: Nordstrom
Purse: Another fabulous giveaway prize from Bombshell Shocked, via Bombshell Bettie's Vintage

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Candypop said...

Love the dress! And your bangs are lookin cute :)

 
At November 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger iron orchid vintage said...

Thanks, Doll! Your blog's lookin' good, love the leopard dress in your shop!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home