This Page

has been moved to new address

The Day-to-Day Plaid Gray 1950's Dress

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Iron Orchid Vintage: The Day-to-Day Plaid Gray 1950's Dress

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Day-to-Day Plaid Gray 1950's Dress

By now I'm sure you know about my love for all things plaid and/or tartan. When I bought this dress I sort of thought it was going to be a bluish color, but I was pleased as punch to open up the parcel and find that it was a crisp, dark gray! It's a junior's dress, but shows no signs of wear and fits just perfectly. Perhaps equally important, I didn't have to alter it one bit! A lot of 1950's dresses are fashioned at a 42 inch length, but this one was a 40 inch length- which is precisely my preference. I thought to play it safe at first and add a solid colored, matchy-matchy scarf to the dress, but then I changed my mind and took this opportunity to mix and match patterns instead. It's a simple dress and perfect for day to day (I'm wearing it here without a crinoline), but now I'm getting all sorts of fun ideas about how to remix it and give it a new life. By the way, does anybody know of any good tutorials for retro hairstyles for ladies with longer hair? I'm curious if you have any favorite sites that may cover up through the mid 1960's. If you do, would you let me know? I'd like to try a fun new (old) style. Tschüs!


Outfit Details:
Plaid Dress: Vintage 1950's dress from Decades Baltimore
Shoes: Made by Elves
Navy Purse: Vintage 1960's
Scarf: Gift, (hand-dyed & handmade!)
Earrings: ?
Bracelet: It is actually a necklace that I picked up at a jewelry party

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Stephanie Lynn said...

Love the pattern mixing! I know Lauren Rennells' Vintage Hairstyling book (http://www.vintagehairstyling.com/index.html) has lots of styles for long hair. Her book is wonderful! It does 20s-60s and a lot of her models have long hair.

 
At March 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger iron orchid vintage said...

Thanks Stephanie Lynn! I just visited her site/blog & I love it! By the way, I've noticed that you wear glasses in your avatar. I have a pair of 50's/60's cateye frame sunglasses that just won't work out for me, but I'd be happy to send them to you if you'd like them. You can email me at ironorchidvintag@gmail.com if you want a photo or something. Thanks for the great tip regarding hair styles!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Yuri said...

very nice indeed! :))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home