This Page

has been moved to new address

The White Elephant Dress, and The Frank Lloyd Wright Civic Center

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Iron Orchid Vintage: The White Elephant Dress, and The Frank Lloyd Wright Civic Center

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The White Elephant Dress, and The Frank Lloyd Wright Civic Center

I've been waiting very patiently for an occasion to wear this dress out, but it's such a summery dress that I knew I'd be knee deep in "inappropriate-for-this-weather" guilt if I didn't come up with some way to winterize it. My solution was not to put a cardigan over it, but to transform it into a '60's looking jumper dress by adding a full sleeve, high-neck, chiffon blouse underneath. I think I may like it more with a blouse underneath, than I did without!
 
Are any of you architecture fans? Whenever I travel, I try to make it a point to read up on the architecture of the city I'm visiting. This fancy piece of architecture is a Frank Lloyd Wright building, and the Marin County Civic Center. These are the only public government buildings of his design to ever be constructed, and they were completed in 1962. I've heard that there's an enormous Farmer's Market there on the weekends, which seems like the market to shop at on the weekend. Fortunately, I took my outfit photos before going out. Unfortunately, I was a roving blur in all of the photos I took while there. In Mr. Wright's own words, the buildings were built to "melt into the sunburnt hills." All this thought of elephants and hills has made me want to re-read the short story, "Hills Like White Elephants," by Ernest Hemingway.
 
Outfit Details:
Blouse: Tracy Reese
Dress: Anna Sui for Anthropologie
Tights: DKNY
Bracelet: Vintage
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
 Bonjour, kitteh!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

cute dress!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM , Blogger iron orchid vintage said...

Thanks, Jenn!

 
At March 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Bernadine said...

Oh gosh, your cat is adorable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home